So I’ve been focusing on having a healthier mindset this summer, something about running and knowing what I’m putting in my body makes me feel better. When doing any kind of exercise it’s important to always stay hydrated and to put the right amount of energy, or calories, into your body to stay energized. I was searching Pinterest for a protein bar recipe and found this super easy recipe that I now like to call the ‘Cuppa Yummy Protein Bars.’ Why do I call it that you ask? Because all you need is a cup of this, and a cup of that. See? Easy peasy!
- 1 cup almonds (walnuts etc. based on preference)
- 1 cup whole pitted dates
- 1 cup dried cherry flavored cranberries
- 1 cup dried unsweetened shredded coconut
1. In a food processor add, all ingredients and process until they form a dough-ish consistency. You’ll know it when you see it. Keep processing until you see clumps form. Process another minute or two until it forms one big dough ball.
2. Take out all of the dough and place on a baking sheet that is covered with parchment paper or saran wrap. Flatten out the ball of dough until it’s about 1/4 inch thick in the form of a square, for easy cutting purposes.
3. Cover with saran wrap and chill in the refridgerator for at least an hour or overnight if you prefer. I left mine in for a little over an hour and they were perfect.
4. Remove from fridge and cut it to bars. Wrap with wax paper or saran wrap and place in zip lock bags to maintain freshness. You can store the bars in the fridge for a few weeks or in the freezer for longer.
On a side note, feel free to add whichever nuts or dried fruits you want, just make sure they’re all even amounts. Bon Appetit!